Monday, January 3, 2011

Exercise- What's in it for me?

I've mentioned before that my healthmiles program through work provides me incentives for exercise- but I discovered another rewards program today- Blue Points by BCBSTX. Here's a little breakdown of what the programs have to offer (because who really works out JUST for the health benefits?)..

Healthmiles- wear a pedometer daily, and upload steps to the healthmiles website weekly to earn "healthmiles"- which add up to earn reward levels at 6,001 ($25); 12,001($75); 24,001($100), and 36,001 ($100) healthmiles. In 2009 I made it to the 36,001 mark, earning $300 in "healthcash". This year I only made it to 30.000 healthmiles, earning $200. The "healthcash" can be used to purchase a new pedometer (the first one is provided); purchase a Polar heart rate monitor; "write a check" or purchase a gift card (to one of many retailers). Some of my favorite retailers offered are: Macy's, Crate and Barrel, Gap, and Tj Maxx. You receive the full amount of your reward when you cash it in, but your prizes are taxed, and come out of your paycheck (because the program has to be subsidized by your employer). None the less, I've told myself I would save all my healthcash, and spend it on Christmas gift, which I did with $100 of mine this year. My friends at work have all teased me for wearing the pedometer (they have all quit the program), but I LOVE it. In addition to logging exercise, there are random challenges presented by Virgin (who operates healthmiles), and award prizes ranging from vacation packages to cash. Bottom line, I will continue to wear the pedometer.. How bad can it be?? :)

BCBS Blue Points- I am a part of the BCBS fitness program ,which is $31/month (it went up $1 this year), and gives me access to several gyms (I usually stick to Gold's or 24 Hour fitness). You earn points for monitoring your exercise, and nutrition. Your visits to each gym are also monitored by BCBS, and you can earn up to 500 miles/week for exercising 4x or more. You can create your own fitness program (which I did today, but it was a bit difficult), but I'm not sure if I'm going to continue monitoring it through this website.. What I was really surprised by were the quality of the merchandise you can purchase with your Blue Points. Here are a few of my favorites: Polar Heart Rate Monitor, Jillian Michaels Exercise DVD's, Rosetta Stone, Treadmill, Mariott stays, Wii, and P90X workout system.. There was also another prize that stuck out like a sore thumb to me, and here's why: The prizes are all geared for people who are a part of a health and fitness program, so they revolve around certain themes: cooking, exercise, and travel. Then, with 30,000 Blue Points, you could purchase your very own.. TELESCOPE... (silence)..
I mean I have a hard time picturing a healthy, hard-working blue points member who diligently logs exercise, and pushes him/herself at the gym so they can FINALLYget their telescope.. New treadmill, ok, Mariott getaway, yes, but not a telescope..

This isn't exercise related, but MB and I both have rewards credit cards, and we have been putting all of our wedding stuff on our cards to earn miles (rewards), then paying the cards off. I'm hoping to earn enough rewards to get a fun prize after the wedding. HOLLER!!

No comments:

Post a Comment